From: Invisible
Date: 30 Sep 2011 11:45:25
Message: <4e85e415@news.povray.org>
On 30/09/2011 04:26 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:

> Some, and maybe all of that is happening, but it isn't done by filling
> out scientific method worksheets like I had to do in school.

Those scientific method worksheets we had to do at school... I work in a
company where people perform ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS, and let me
tell you, it looks /nothing like/ anything you saw at school!

(On the other hand, there /is/ an absurd amount of paperwork involved...)

> Definitely. Rote memorization teaches nothing, except how to memorize.

This.

I still think they should teach String Theory in schools - to
demonstrate how even though something is widely respected, has brilliant
people working on it, and involves amazingly complex mathematics, that
doesn't make it science. Being testable makes it science.