POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I giggled a bunch at this. : Re: I giggled a bunch at this. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I giggled a bunch at this.
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Sep 2011 04:18:09
Message: <4e857b41$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/09/2011 03:14 AM, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Depending on your definition of "computer"

There is that too.

Turing-completeness is a reasonable definition, until you consider that
a sheet of paper and a pen is Turing-complete given a suitable human to
operate it. So perhaps the significant thing is the sophistication of
computations that the device can perform without human aid.

> there is evidence of a one
> of a kind "Roman" device that was capable of predicting eclipses, and
> timing the correct date to start the Olympic games, among other
> features.

Last I heard, nobody had decided exactly what that device was for. It
seems opinions have changed...

> In other words, an electronic calender.

I think you mean /automated/ calendar. It's only /electronic/ if it
operates by moving electrons around. :-P

> But, at that time,
> such things where nearly impossible to replicate, so when the ship it
> was one sank...

We're talking about something from a /long/ time ago. The fact that no
others have been found yet doesn't mean none existed.

> Arguably, its gearing system had to have some sort of "algorithm".

By that description, the way that trees use the laws of physics to move
exactly the right amount of water from their roots to their leaves could
be considered an "algorithm". Which would mean that algorithms predate
mankind by several billion years...