POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I giggled a bunch at this. : Re: I giggled a bunch at this. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I giggled a bunch at this.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Sep 2011 22:14:29
Message: <4e852605$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/29/2011 11:11 AM, Stephen wrote:

> solution to the algorithm. Roman engineers maintained water levels for
> their aqueduct system by means of floating valves that opened and closed
> at appropriate levels. Someone had to create an algorithm no matter how
> simple.

Depending on your definition of "computer", there is evidence of a one
of a kind "Roman" device that was capable of predicting eclipses, and
timing the correct date to start the Olympic games, among other
features. In other words, an electronic calender. But, at that time,
such things where nearly impossible to replicate, so when the ship it
was one sank... Arguably, its gearing system had to have some sort of
"algorithm".

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism