POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I giggled a bunch at this. : Re: I giggled a bunch at this. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I giggled a bunch at this.
From: Stephen
Date: 29 Sep 2011 14:11:38
Message: <4e84b4da$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/09/2011 12:04 PM, Invisible wrote:
.

> The first "computer" was arguably the design by Babbage, and the first
> "algorithm" was allegedly written by Ada Lovelace, who died almost
> exactly 1 century before Turing.

I would argue that algorithms go further back than that. Consider
control mechanisms. If you want an engine to run at a constant speed
with a variable load. You would use an algorithm like this.

Test the speed of the motor.
If the speed is lower than the target speed then increase the power.
If the speed is greater than the target speed then decrease the power.
If the speed is within limits then neither increase nor decrease the power.

solution to the algorithm. Roman engineers maintained water levels for
their aqueduct system by means of floating valves that opened and closed
at appropriate levels. Someone had to create an algorithm no matter how
simple.

> Now if we could establish when the first book with an index was created...

For library catalogues see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_catalog#History

Long, long ago.

--