POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic : Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:29:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Sep 2011 18:35:21
Message: <4e824fa9@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:58:25 -0400, Warp wrote:

> Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/27/2011 3:13 AM, Invisible wrote:
>
>> > The later films are much worse.
>> >

>> I dunno, I sort of liked Ep. 3 ...
>
>   The problem with that, and in fact the entire trilogy, is that there
>   are
> some good ideas underneath, but for some strange reason the writing was
> quite subpar, which more or less destroyed all the good ideas. With
> better writing it could have been much better.

I think a big part of the prequel trilogy was not so much the writing
(though clearly it could have been better, as we've seen the lead actors
play roles that they did quite well in, but in the prequels the acting
was pretty flat) was that Lucas cast individual roles.  One of the
reasons the older trilogy holds up so well is because the actors actually
acted well as an ensemble (indeed, Lucas said he cast those films as an
ensemble rather than as individual roles).

>   As an example, episode 3 does not really convey very well *why* Anakin
> chose the dark side. There are bits and pieces here and there, but it
> just gives a feeling that he switched sides for no good reason at all,
> and it makes no sense. A much better script could have made that plot
> point much more evident, logical and dramatic.

I think it could've been done better, sure - but I do think that the
story did convey Annikin's reasons for switching pretty well.  He was
raised as a slave, and his mother was his world.  Then he was yanked out
of that life, his mother was captured and died, and then he tried to keep
his relationship with Padme secret, felt betrayed by the Jedi in general
and Obi-Wan in particular, and just kept getting pushed further and
further until he broke.

Jim