POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic : Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 27 Sep 2011 16:59:06
Message: <4e82391a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Wasn't he also promoted to "bom-baad genaaral" by his own society too?
>
>    He was actually characterized as a good diplomat who helped unite the
> two quarreling civilizations on the planet. Thus it makes sense that he
> would be a representative of his people. This characterization didn't come
> through very clearly, though (well, at all, really), which can be attributed
> to substandard writing (something that can be seen throughout the trilogy.)

Substandard writing I could agree on.

 From what I can see, it was Quigon who decided to ask the Gungans for
transport, and Amidala who decided to ask for their army. If anyone is a
good diplomat, it's Amidala. But anyway...

>    Making him a general didn't make much sense, though. He may be good at
> diplomacy, not at leading an army. (Again, either substandard writing or
> idiocy of the gungan leader.)

It's not especially logical, but it's plausible. Lots of companies, for
example, will take the very best engineer in the team and promote them
to team manager. Because, you know, being the best engineer makes you
the best manager, doesn't it? (Hint: no, it doesn't.) The promotion is a
"reward" for being the best guy on the team. But, logically, it's
actually not a very good idea.

>> Basically, Quigon says "this gungan may be of use". Despite the
>> self-evident fact that he has NO USE AT ALL. It's clearly and obviously
>> a transparent ploy to keep him in the story, because he's supposed to be
>> the comic relief character. (Trouble is, comics are supposed to be FUNNY...)
>
>    As said, he was characterized as a diplomat (at least in principle), so
> in that context it makes sense.

I doubt that Quigon could have known that he was a good diplomat 45
seconds after having met him. Even if he really was...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/