POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Java : Re: Java Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Java
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Sep 2011 04:44:15
Message: <4e803b5f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Was it you that said something about "committing to backwards
>> compatibility way too early"?
>
> Yep. That was the fundamental failure, caused by the whole "write once"
> marketing campaign.

I wouldn't mind, but it didn't even /work/.

Like I said, I wrote an applet. It worked fine in IE. When I tried it
with Netscape, it crashed with a null pointer exception. And, since it's
an applet, I have no idea /where/ it crashed. You don't get a stack trace.

I suspect this is probably related to the vagueness of the
documentation. That means that others don't really know how to implement
it correctly. Or, hell, maybe the documentation just doesn't actually
match what Sun implemented...

>> I notice Office no longer comes with any documentation at all, just a
>> link to an online forum.
>
> It has documentation. It just mixes it in with the online forum. I think
> you have to chose to install it locally, tho, which is what you might be
> seeing.

Oh well. Almost never non-trivial Office task usually involves finding
an Office MVP anyway...

> I've lost track of closing braces....

...which is why every open bracket should always start a new indentation
level...