From: Invisible
Date: 26 Sep 2011 04:40:12
Message: <4e803a6c@news.povray.org>
On 24/09/2011 04:42 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 9/24/2011 6:42, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> I love how the particles travelled "20 parts per million" faster than
>> they
>> should have, and sciencists couldn't believe it was true due to the
>> "large
>> magnitude of the effect"...
>
> Well, given that quantum physics has been verified to within one part in
> 10^14 or so, saying "you're off by 20 parts per million" is a huge
> number. That would (for example) put your GPS off by hundreds of yards.

Doesn't the refractive index of air *already* put GPS off by several
dozen *miles*? And they don't seem to have too much effect on GPS
accuracy (i.e., they managed to compensate for it). Of course, you can't
compensate for something that you didn't know existed, but it still
doesn't seem to be affecting GPS.

It may be that light isn't the fastest thing in the universe. But so
long as the speed of light is roughly correct, GPS should still work.