POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C++ Advice : Re: C++ Advice Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C++ Advice
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 24 Sep 2011 15:25:59
Message: <4e7e2ec7$1@news.povray.org>
Le 24/09/2011 19:58, Warp nous fit lire :
> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> My 14 year old son wants to start learning C++ and OpenGL.
>
>> What would be the best way to go about it?
>
>   I don't know, but I suppose one obvious way would be to buy him a
> couple of books.
>
>   I have read some positive things about the latest book of the man himself
> (ie. Stroustrup), "Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++".
>
>   I'd also recommend "Effective C++", "More effective C++" and
> "Effective STL" by Scott Meyers.

All good books, I presume, but they are probably more a kind of toolbox
that a tutorial. (at least, they would expect some experience in
programming, even if only something like C)

Before learning C++, have him dig a bit in object-oriented conception
first. Probably better with some human interface
(school/formation/stage/whatever) than a book.
(well, you can write C++ like any other language: if you have no clue,
the result might be a very strong and potent fertilizer. And sometime
you can even have valid reasons to do it with such bad practices. Yet it
is not something that should be made a model for the unwary)

At least C++ is a bit more strict than C about the details. But even a
very strict language would still fails if the conception is bogus.

For OpenGL, he can probably try to observe and understand the code from
any OpenGL & opensource game (that he like). It might give some clues
about how it works (my question would be: why bother with OpenGL ? any
short-term purposes ?)