POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment : Re: A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A rare moment
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2011 17:09:53
Message: <4e7a52a1$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/09/2011 02:01 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:
> On 9/21/2011 3:16 AM, Invisible wrote:
>
>> No, that's "cooperation". "Competition" is where you disregard everybody
>> else and beat them out of the way by any means possible so that you get
>> what you want.
>
> But dealing with competition and exposing children to competition is a
> way to apply being fair and just. What you describe as competition is
> actually self-centeredness, and probably just plain antisocial. Being
> competitive means doing your best, not to bring the other competitors down.

Doing *your* best is about *yourself*. It has nothing to do with anybody
else. It's something that everybody can strive towards, all on their own.

(Like I said, there are people who can beat everybody else in their
class without even trying, and there are others who will probably never
be able to beat anybody. Everyone is different.)

Competition is fundamentally about "I want me to win, not you". It runs
/against/ the idea of being fair and just.

Then again, real life is unfortunately competitive from time to time,
and children need to learn how to deal with that. (At least until we can
find a way to eliminate it.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/