POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment : Re: A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A rare moment
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 21 Sep 2011 09:01:24
Message: <4e79e024$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/21/2011 3:16 AM, Invisible wrote:

> No, that's "cooperation". "Competition" is where you disregard everybody
> else and beat them out of the way by any means possible so that you get
> what you want.

But dealing with competition and exposing children to competition is a
way to apply being fair and just. What you describe as competition is
actually self-centeredness, and probably just plain antisocial. Being
competitive means doing your best, not to bring the other competitors down.

I suppose there's two kinds of competition

healthy competition: Do the best you can, train hard, practice your
skill, and in the end, someone will finish on top.

unhealthy competition: Do whatever it takes to win at all costs,
including sabotaging your competitors, cheating, or eliminating the
competition.

You're correct in your assertion that you've observed a lot of what I
would consider unhealthy competition.

.. BUT, by not being exposed to competition, someone may lean more
toward unhealthy competition, rather than learning how to be competitive
without being brutal.

--
~Mike