POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : IRTC site : Re: IRTC site Server Time
1 May 2024 21:37:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC site
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 19 Sep 2011 20:47:14
Message: <4e77e292$1@news.povray.org>
Park wrote:

> I have been programming ColdFusion for business applications for 15
> years and would love to take over the IRTC and host the site for free
> as well. Please contact me.

Thank you for your offer, I'm sure it is appreciated by the community.
Regarding an official statement, Chris Cason is probably the best person
to contact. It's possible he will read this post, or you could try to
reach him via the pov team contact email given at the end of

   http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html

They might prefer not to "give away" the IRTC, though; the last attempt
at resurrection was still hosted on the povray servers as far as I know.
I'm not sure if this would be a problem for you.

> All I would need is a list of services needed for the site,
> requirements, etc.. This can be completed in a couple of weeks if not
> sooner since this is actually very simple programming to me.

I know you have professional experience, but do not underestimate the
project you'd embark upon. If you do, it will only lead to frustration
for everyone involved (again).

First of all, in contrast to a commercial project, it is much harder
to even get a list of requirements. There is no single customer who pays
and decides. You can look back at older threads in this group to find
out about some consensus the community arrived at during earlier
discussion regarding desired IRTC behavior.

People will try to access the site using the most curious combinations
of OS and browser, and you can less easily ignore them because they make
up a sizable proportion of the crowd here ;)

Also, hacking together a working system is only part of the solution.
It should be possible for someone else to administer the site in case
other things pop up in your life with priority (also, to reduce the
dependency on administrator time, a high degree of automation in
the submission and voting process is desirable).

Special requirements that have been specified in the past are the
ability to browse the site without being logged in and to be able
to have (session-independent) bookmarkability / direct URLs.

Otherwise, I suppose you are familiar with the old IRTC and maybe
have seen the intermediate resurrection (you can probably get the
smalltalk code for that from David Buck to get an idea of the
system even though you would likely not be using the code).

Finally, this post is not intended to discourage or deter you. Just
be sure you know what you are in for before committing yourself. I can
only speak for myself but your offer is most welcome, thanks again!