POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 6052701905145 : Re: Random wonderings 6052701905145 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings 6052701905145
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Sep 2011 13:54:25
Message: <4e7781d1@news.povray.org>
On 9/19/2011 2:40, Invisible wrote:
> question who's meaning is obvious,

And we're telling you that the meaning isn't obvious, because the very
phrasing of the sentence makes it absurd.

> (Which I guess just means that nobody actually knows the
> answer... which is cool, I guess.)

No, it means the question as you asked it is meaningless, even if everyone
tries to interpret it in the way you think you meant it.

> People do this ALL THE TIME.

We're not arguing that your phrasing of the question is too anthropomorphic.
We're arguing that the phrasing of your question is *meaningless*.  There is
no interpretation of what you asked that can be answered.

It's like asking "does a submarine swim?"  The question is meaningless
*because* of the anthropomorphic choice of words. There is no right answer,
because any interpretation of the question leads to the answer "the question
makes no sense."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?