POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vampires? : Re: Vampires? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vampires?
From: Warp
Date: 17 Sep 2011 12:44:39
Message: <4e74ce76@news.povray.org>
> >    But that has nothing to do with whether someone "looked" at the measurement
> > or not. It has to do with whether the two possible paths of the emitted
> > particle were kept separate or whether they were merged before the particle
> > hit the measurement device.

> You misunderstand. The actual particle hitting the measurement device and
> being checked for interference fringes is *not* the particle being measured.
> *That* particle takes exactly the same path in both cases.

  No I don't. When I say "emitted particle" I'm talking about the secondary
particle emitted at the slit towards the measurement device that (possibly)
tells which slit the original particle went through.

> > If I understand correctly, the interference
> > pattern would disappear if the emitted particles are kept separate even if
> > nobody "looks" at the result. It has nothing to do with an observer, only
> > with how the original particles and the emitted particles interact.

> I'm not sure what the "emitted" particle is here.

  It's particle B in your list. If the two possible paths that B could take
are merged, the interference pattern appears, but if they are not merged,
the interference pattern disappears. This regardless of whether someone
"looks" at the result of B or not.

  Clearly what happens to B's path affects A (even if this effect happens
through space and time). It's not dependent on whether someone "looks" at
it.

--
                                                          - Warp