POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vampires? : Re: Vampires? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vampires?
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Sep 2011 12:18:03
Message: <4e7376bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/16/2011 8:19, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> On 9/14/2011 11:46, Alain wrote:
>>> Shroeder's cat is always both dead and alive untill someone does observe it.
>
>> I think most people miss the point of this question, which is to ask whether
>> the *cat* observes itself.
>
>    Isn't the interpretation such that the state of the particle/molecule/cat
> is relative, not absolute?

That's another question the cat raises, yes.

The idea was not "LOL, the cat can't be alive and dead at the same time so
you're obviously wrong", which is how most people interpret it. The question
is what causes the "collapse" if the right answer is "observation".

>    I think that the question presented by the original thought experiment is
> that, if quantum superposition is indeed the correct interpretation, whether
> such superpositions apply to macroscopic objects.

I don't think there's any question any more that they apply to macroscopic
objects. At the time the question was raised, sure, maybe.

But at what point and for what reason wouldn't they apply?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?