POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 6052701905145 : Re: Random wonderings 6052701905145 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:31:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings 6052701905145
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Sep 2011 17:59:37
Message: <4e727549$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/15/2011 10:14 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> And that's what I'm asking. Is mammal predation on fungi significant
> enough that it's worth developing defences against it? Or is the extreme
> toxicity of some fungi merely an unrelated accident?

Since we don't eat all sorts of them, but just the larger ones, I would
say, "probably". At the very least, wild pigs eat them, and probably
others too. Besides which, that they have the characteristic, and its so
heavily involved in their chemistry at this point, doesn't mean that the
species that they *did* have a risk from is still present. After the
trait exists, it merely needs to have "some" limited benefit, or not
cost more than getting rid of it, to continue.