POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vampires? : Re: Vampires? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vampires?
From: Alain
Date: 15 Sep 2011 15:57:03
Message: <4e72588f@news.povray.org>

> On 09/14/2011 07:09 PM, andrel wrote:

>>> well no ... you guys are the vampires ... I see myself more the werewolf
>>> type
>>>

>> to quote the first post: "what a bunch of vampires (me included)"
>
> hey the moon is certainly to blame here ... since I'm able to see my
> reflection in the mirror, I'll go ahead and opt out on the vampire thing
> ;-)

Well... Not all vampires don't cast a reflection in a mirror, especialy
if the mirror is silver free.

Back then, when the novels were writen, mirrors had a silver and mercury
reflective coating. Sime mercury was placed on the glass, then a foil of
silver was spread over it. The whole was then compressed in a stack with
felt cushions for something like 7 years. (the origin of the 7 years bad
luck for breaking a mirror, also the price as a commoner would need to
save for about 7 years to be able to buy one) Over 60% of the mirrors
ended up broken and unusable after that.
In modern mirrors, the silver and mercury are mostly gone.