POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2011 09:17:06
Message: <4e71fad2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.09.2011 10:26, schrieb Invisible:
>> An X /server/ (that is, the X terminal software)? Absolutely.
>
> Mmm, OK.
>
>> Sure, I could just plug in a keyboard and mouse, and use the analog
>> input of one of my displays to switch between the two; but having two
>> keyboards and two mice on the desk really sucks, KVM switches aren't
>> free (as in free beer), and being able to use the Windows task bar to
>> switch to the Linux desktop is quite handy as well.
>
> Or you could just use VNC, which works on both platforms...

Why would I care about the thing working both ways, if my primary
machine is the Windows machine?

That aside, using VNC would of course have required me knowing of that
animal (which I didn't); X was a thing I knew would do the job I wanted
(provided I could find a free X server for Windows, which I did), so
obviously that's what I went for. (And as it runs fine now, there's also
no motivation for me to even try anything different.)

Plus, X11 is still at the core of all the fancy Linux GUIs anyway
(whether it is KDE or Gnome or whatever), and is /designed/ for remote
desktop sessions, so why bother to add yet another layer of complexity
to get a feature that's already there.