POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2011 04:08:05
Message: <4e71b265@news.povray.org>
Am 14.09.2011 22:52, schrieb Orchid XP v8:

> Does anyone, anywhere on Earth, actually run X on Windows?
>
> I mean, I gather that you *can*. But does anybody actually *do* this?

An X /server/ (that is, the X terminal software)? Absolutely. Guess how
I "remotely" control my Linux machine (which I use primarily for
scripted test-runs of POV-Ray) from my Windows machine (which I use for
everyday stuff, including POV-Ray development with MS Visual Studio).

Sure, I could just plug in a keyboard and mouse, and use the analog
input of one of my displays to switch between the two; but having two
keyboards and two mice on the desk really sucks, KVM switches aren't
free (as in free beer), and being able to use the Windows task bar to
switch to the Linux desktop is quite handy as well.

An X /client/ on Windows (that is, software running on a Windows host
and displaying on an X terminal)? Doesn't sound like a common use case
to me.