POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Sep 2011 10:57:09
Message: <4e70c0c5$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/09/2011 10:42, Invisible a écrit :

>>       PasswordAuthentication
>>               Specifies whether password authentication is allowed.  The
>>               default is “yes”.
>>
>> Seems pretty straightforward to me.
>
> Does that disable CHAP as well? Or only plain password authentication?
> (If I'm remembering this right, CHAP is basically password
> authentication, but with a slightly more secure wire protocol.)

Indeed, for ssh, PasswordAuthentication is never going to CHAP.
PasswordAuthentication of ssh need that the lower layer negociated
already an encryption and a mac/checksum.
(it is forbidden to use password authentication over a clear connection)

Myself, I prefer signature authentication, with ~/.ssh/authorized_keys .
My password/passphrase locally unlock the private key, and the public
key is in the remote host(s) user directory.

> I thought the host key is how the server identifies itself to you, not
> how you identify yourself to the server?

Correct.

> At any rate, it's news to me that you can create a ~/.ssh folder and
> sshd will actually take note of this. I don't recall the manpage
> mentioning this at all.

~/.ssh/authorized_keys !!
(name can be configured with AuthorizedKeysFile )

May be you have a different man page for sshd.
Mine talk about ~/.ssh/rc, ~/.ssh/environment, and more...
including ~/.ssh/known_hosts

In fact, the FILES section of the man page for sshd is long... very long.

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.<br/><br/>

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.