POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 13 Sep 2011 20:47:28
Message: <4e6ff9a0$1@news.povray.org>

>> You're off by two orders of magnitude. Most Cisco firewalls are in teh 5
>> digit price tag.
>
> True. But not this particular one.

http://www.ebuyer.com/135532-cisco-asa-5505-firewall-edition-bundle-asa5505-50-bun-k9

Ok. you got me.  I usually don't deal with small-office/home-office gear.

> (Go on, hack me. You know you want to.)

>>> No, I don't have the password to configure it.
>
> Still stands.
>
>>> (And besides, have *you*
>>> tried configuring Cisco stuff? It's not exactly intuitive. You probably
>>> need Certified Engineer status to figure it out.)
>>
>> You don't need to be a Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert to figure it
>> out. The Cisco manuals are usually pretty easy to follow, and freely
>> available on their web site.
>
> Really? That might be worth reading...

This is a good place to start:

For routers and switches:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/fundamentals/command/cf-cr-book.html

Or "Support | IOS & NX OS | IOS 12.4 Mainline " from the home page.

Firewalls are a little different, but the syntax is still related.
Kinda like French and Italian.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/conf_gd.html

Or "Support | Security | PIX firewall software | Configuration Guide |
Version 8.0" from the home page.

Note: Even though Cisco firewall appliances are now called ASAs, their
documentation still cals them PIXes all over the place.

>> And it is actually pretty intuitive...
>>
>> - Give each interface an ip address.
>> - Create your NAT tables.
>> - And off you go.
>
>  From what I've seen, you telnet into the router, enter a password, and
> then enter lines of gibberish such as "enh eth gw all". You would
> *definitely* need a manual to figure out WTH that actually means, or
> what the name of the command you want is.

Two things:

First thing, typing ? at any point will list all the available commands
at that point.

Second thing, you don't have to enter gibberish.  the commands are plain
english words.  They can be abbreviated for speed, but

sh ip int fa0/0 bri

Is exactly the same as typing

show ip interface fastethernet0/0 brief

which would show you a brief summary of all the stats it keeps for the
IP protocol on interface fastethernet0/0. (protocol distribution, packet
counts, etc...)

>> The only difference between a Cisco firewall and a D-link or NetGear
>> home router, besides performance and scalability, is that you can (and
>> should!) override the basic "everything outbound is ok, nothing inbound
>> can come in" configuration.
>
> I'm still guessing that, between the configuration for routing to
> multiple LANs, multiple VPN endpoints, and remote access, adding a line
> that forwards SSH to a port on a desktop PC who's IP address is
> configured via DHCP is probably going to take some doing. (!)

Routing for the multiple lans actually comes straigh out of the box.
You confiugre an ip address on all the interfaces and it will know that
any packets it receives whose destination is on another lan interface,
it will forward it (let's disregard security rules, for the moment!).
Remote lans are handled the same way they would be on a Windows or Unix
machine.  By either configuring a routing protocol, or by adding static
routes.

On Windows, you'd type:

route add 192.168.200.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

On a router, you'd type:

ip route 192.168.200.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

On a firewall, you'd type:

ip route [interfacename] 192.168.200.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

You have to specify the interface name because, as opposed to a router,
the firewall will drop any packet that has to be routed back out the
same interface it came in.

VPN endpoints are not more complicated than on any other platform, but
that's a bit like saying that changing the transmission of a Formula One
is not more complicated than changing it on a Toyota...  It may not Be
for a complete noob.

Allowing inbound ssh connections will need that PC to have a static NAT
address, and therefore a static local IP address.  Your Netgear or
Linksys home router can work around this because it also acts as the
DHCP server, so it knows to which MAC adress to send the traffic, but in
an entreprise where the firewall is a separate piece of hardware, there
is simply no way to do this.

> And we still have the minor issue that I don't have the password. :-P

If you have physical access to the box, you can do a password recovery
and put a new password in, but since this would likely cost you your job
and may very well land you in jail, I do not recommend you try it at the
office....