POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Sep 2011 14:45:39
Message: <4e6fa4d3@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 05:48 PM, Darren New wrote:

>> (OTOH, doesn't X allow more than one user to log in at once?
>
> Not really. Remember, client and server are "reversed". You still need
> one computer per user, and indeed, I don't know of any modern distro
> that lets you lock the screen as one X user and then log in as a
> different user without logging out the first one. (Someone tell me if
> there's a way to do this with Ubuntu! :-)

OK, let me put it this way: X lets you install an application on a
central server, and have multiple X "servers" (i.e. *clients*) connect
to that server and have their own instance of the application appear on
their screen.

If you want to do that with RDP, you need the multi-thousand dollar
"server" version of Windows.

(Then again, I gather that X is doing all the work at the client end,
while RDP is doing all the work at the server end and then copying it to
the client screen...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/