POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Sep 2011 13:35:30
Message: <4e6f9462$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/13/2011 1:27, Invisible wrote:
>>> You can thank Windows for this.
>>
>> Nah. You can thank NAT for this.
>
> I think it's more the general problem of Internet security.

No, it's a problem of routing. If you can't address the remote computer, you
can't give it a file, no matter what protocol you use.

>> Note how all of those require a running server on a public IP address.
>
> Well, yes. To perform a data transfer, you need a way to contact the other end.

That's my point. It's nothing to do with Windows vs Linux. It has to do with
public vs private IP addresses.

> I'm told there's a system called UPnP or something which is supposed to
> allow you to automatically bypass NAT.

The local machine still needs to run something that uses upnp to poke a hole
in the firewall.

> It's news to me that you can transfer files with RDP.

Give it a try. Log in remotely, copy a file off your desktop, mouse over the
remote machine, and pick paste.

Some older versions disallow this. It's kind of touchy, as you have to get
the same version at both ends, for example.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?