POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:24:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Sep 2011 13:30:58
Message: <4e6f9352$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/13/2011 3:28, Warp wrote:
>    I don't think Windows uses soft links itself either. Soft links are
> supported by NTFS, but I don't think Windows itself uses them for anything.

They've been used for ages by offline storage (i.e., files backed up to tape
that automatically get restored when you try to open them). They're also
used from Vista onwards to move your home directory stuff around, since
there's so many apps that hard-coded "Documents and Settings".

> (After all, Windows has to be able to work if installed on a FAT32 partition
> too.)

Not any more.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)