POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vampires? : Re: Vampires? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vampires?
From: Alain
Date: 13 Sep 2011 13:17:26
Message: <4e6f9026@news.povray.org>

> Jim Holsenback<nom### [at] nomailcom>  wrote:
>> OK ... noticing times on some of these posts! LOL what a bunch of
>> vampires (me included) ... yikes the sun is about to rise. Quick ...
>> hide from the light!
>
>    In the original Dracula novel the eponymous character was not even
> annoyed by sunlight. (But IIRC he was unable to transform.)
>
>    IIRC also in the original Dracula movie sunlight wasn't such a big
> problem.
>
>    The whole sunlight thing was invented by the movie Nosferatu. For some
> reason it stuck.
>
>    Comparing those two movies is actually interesting, as they both set
> precedents that have lasted to this day. The former set the precedent for
> an elegant suave aristocrat gentleman who would lure their victims using
> his sheer charm and personality (with possible bits of hypnosis).
>
>    The latter set the precedent for the deformed, big-fanged, pointy-eared
> (and hence more bat-like) vampire, which also sees its uses nowadays to
> larger or lesser extent.
>
>    A mix between the two is also sometimes used, with the vampire transforming
> between the two forms (like in Buffy). For some reason the lethality of
> sunlight is (almost) always retained in both characterizations, though
> (except for those few movies that try to be loyal to the original novel).

In a variation, older master vampires are imune to Sun light, although
it may prevent them from using some abilities. It's assumed that they
protect themselves with their sheer will.
But, for lesser vampires that have been recently transformed, Sun light
can range from totaly debilitating, causing total paralisis, to
instantly deadly.
As new vampires ages, they may gain some progressive imunity to the Sun,
making it only harmfull rahter than deadly. Something like geting sun
burns in only a few seconds...

Alain