POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My hypothesis : Re: My hypothesis Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:44:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My hypothesis
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Sep 2011 12:40:33
Message: <4e6f8781@news.povray.org>
On 9/13/2011 1:31, Invisible wrote:
> If you cache something in a register that you shouldn't have, your
> application will break on a uniprocessor system. And you'll notice this, and
> fix it.

Right.

> If the hardware didn't enforce cache coherence, applications would work
> perfectly on a uniprocessor and then break spectacularly on a
> multiprocessor.

In what way would it break, given the OS inserts a memory barrier when it
switches tasks?

I.e., in what case would you expect a variable written to memory followed
immediately by a nondeterministic task switch to give you different results
on a multi vs uni processor? In what case would you expect a variable cached
in a register to give you different results during a task switch on a multi
vs uni processor?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?