POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 10:21:07
Message: <4e6f66d3$1@news.povray.org>
>> Terminal Services is where you have an expensive server-class version of
>> Windows, you install all your complicated applications on that, and then
>> end users use their Windows-based desktop PC to log into the server and
>> run the applications on that. In other words, each desktop PC becomes
>> essentially a dumb terminal for connecting to the server where the
>> applications actually run.
>
> Nope, that's Citrix (it may have changed names since MS acquired them,
> but everyone in the industry still calls it Citrix) and it runs on a
> different port than RDP. Terminal Services is the service running on the
> remote machine that receives the connection from MSRTC.EXE running on
> your computer to allow remote desktop connections.

As far as I'm aware, Citrix is a completely different product made by a
completely different company. Terminal Services is just another instance
of the general RDP protocol.

>> Remote Desktop is where you log in to a remote desktop system in the
>> same way you'd log in to it remotely. Except... it's remote. To anybody
>> looking at the desktop locally, it just looks like the system is locked.
>> Because it's a /desktop/ system, only one user can be logged in to it at
>> once, remotely or locally.
>
> Nein. You can have two remote sessions on top of the "console" session
> on a machine running Terminal Services. since NT4.

Now reread what I wrote. For a *desktop* edition of Windows, you can
only have one user logged in at once. (Because, let's face it, otherwise
why would companies pay 400x more for the server version?)

>> What all these systems have in common is that one computer is displaying
>> the video output of another. Like a remote X session. Except that it
>> also connects the sound card, network drives, printers [but that never
>> ****ing works properly], clipboard, and probably a few other things as
>> well.
>
> Sound card, printers, clipboard and drive mappings are all optional and
> off by default, on the client side.

Really? It appears that they're all *on* by default in my testing...

Or maybe they changed it in some version of the RDP client? I know
printing used to require that the same printer drives (*exactly* the
same printer drivers) are installed on client and server, whereas now it
works without that.

> So why were you griping about having to install ssh because X11 was
> unencrypted?
>
> The VPN tunnel also allows you to bypass the NAT done by your company's
> firewall.

Puzzling thing: There are many, many SSH clients for Windows. There are
no SSH *servers*. And I have literally no idea why.