POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 10:15:16
Message: <4e6f6574$1@news.povray.org>
>>>     So how exactly would I transfer a file to you from my Windows?
>
>> You can't. My PC is firewalled.
>
>> You also can't transfer a file using Unix, for the same reason.
>
>    Most firewalls have the ssh port open because it's considered safe.
> (And if it's not, it's easy to open in most distros).
>
>    Then you can use scp, rsync or any equivalent tool to transfer files.
> (There probably isn't any linux distro that doesn't come by default with
> scp and rsync.)

No, I mean there's a *hardware* firewall in the way. You know, with the
big Cisco sticker on it and the 3-digit price tag? (Although obviously
that's only because I'm at work right now. My house doesn't have one of
those...)

>    (Btw, the great thing about rsync is that it can resume interrupted file
> transfers, a rather important feature that, oddly, most file transfer tools
> completely lack.)

It's certainly an important feature. And yes, lots of tools seem to lack it.

I was under the impression that HTTP (and possibly FTP) support resuming
partial downloads. (But not all servers bother to implement this.)

Actually, I was wondering... can you use rsync to synchronise, say, the
files on an external storage device? Or does it only work if the other
endpoint is a *computer*?