POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 13 Sep 2011 10:10:41
Message: <4e6f6461@news.povray.org>

> On 13/09/2011 08:30 AM, Warp wrote:
>
>> I like how to you everything in Windows is "trivial". Like using soft or
>> hard links (which, btw, I have still no idea how to do, regardless of
>> your
>> assurances that it's very easy).
>
> End users aren't supposed to use this technology. It's used "under the
> hood" by various Windows features. Remember, the desktop Windows OS is
> designed to be operated by morons.
>
> (For example, most of our salesman have a Windows laptop. And trust me,
> they are idiots of the highest calibre.)
>
>> If this so "trivial", why haven't I ever heard of this "RDP"?
>
> Because Microsoft refers to it by half a dozen different names.
>
> Terminal Services.
> Remote Desktop.
> Remote Assistance.
>
> RDP stands for Remote Desktop Protocol, and is the actual wire protocol
> underlying all of the above /product features/.
>
> Terminal Services is where you have an expensive server-class version of
> Windows, you install all your complicated applications on that, and then
> end users use their Windows-based desktop PC to log into the server and
> run the applications on that. In other words, each desktop PC becomes
> essentially a dumb terminal for connecting to the server where the
> applications actually run.

Nope, that's Citrix (it may have changed names since MS acquired them,
but everyone in the industry still calls it Citrix) and it runs on a
different port than RDP.  Terminal Services is the service running on
the remote machine that receives the connection from MSRTC.EXE running
on your computer to allow remote desktop connections.

> Remote Desktop is where you log in to a remote desktop system in the
> same way you'd log in to it remotely. Except... it's remote. To anybody
> looking at the desktop locally, it just looks like the system is locked.
> Because it's a /desktop/ system, only one user can be logged in to it at
> once, remotely or locally.

Nein.  You can have two remote sessions on top of the "console" session
on a machine running Terminal Services.  since NT4.

> What all these systems have in common is that one computer is displaying
> the video output of another. Like a remote X session. Except that it
> also connects the sound card, network drives, printers [but that never
> ****ing works properly], clipboard, and probably a few other things as
> well.

Sound card, printers, clipboard and drive mappings are all optional and
off by default, on the client side.

> This is literally how when I have a day off work, I can sit at my home
> PC and reboot servers, install software updates, and all kinds of other
> stuff, from my house. (Obviously, there's a VPN involved as well.
> Otherwise all this traffic would be unencrypted...)

So why were you griping about having to install ssh because X11 was
unencrypted?

The VPN tunnel also allows you to bypass the NAT done by your company's
firewall.