POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 06:36:23
Message: <4e6f3227$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 11:28 AM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> On 13/09/2011 08:30 AM, Warp wrote:
>
>>>     I like how to you everything in Windows is "trivial". Like using soft or
>>> hard links (which, btw, I have still no idea how to do, regardless of your
>>> assurances that it's very easy).
>
>> End users aren't supposed to use this technology. It's used "under the
>> hood" by various Windows features. Remember, the desktop Windows OS is
>> designed to be operated by morons.
>
>    I don't think Windows uses soft links itself either. Soft links are
> supported by NTFS, but I don't think Windows itself uses them for anything.
> (After all, Windows has to be able to work if installed on a FAT32 partition
> too.) Same's probably true for hard links.

I'm fairly sure System Restore uses hardlinks. (Not that you can tell by
looking at it.) At least, it does on NTFS. On FAT, it presumably makes
copies of the files. Then again, there's all sorts of features that
don't work on FAT and only work on NTFS. (For example, I believe
"offline folders" only works for NTFS.)

>    (And no, "shortcuts" are not soft links. They are a completely different
> thing.)

No, they aren't. They are special files that are interpreted by Windows
Explorer. The hold no special significance for any other programs.