POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Warp
Date: 13 Sep 2011 03:22:57
Message: <4e6f04d0@news.povray.org>
> While we're on the subject, by default you can log in to any remote
> Windows PC that you happen to know the administrator password to. No
> special software required. Again, try getting X11 to let you do that.
> Good luck.

  Did you know that the X windowing system was actually designed from the
very beginning to run remotely? Running it locally was just a "free" feature
on top of that.

  In fact, it still acts pretty much like if it was a remote server. It's
just that rather than being physically remote, it just is being run on the
same computer as the user is logged in. (That's what the DISPLAY environment
variable is all about. You can log in to another computer, eg. using ssh,
and run an X program there, and it will show up on your screen, as long as
the DISPLAY environment variable is properly set. That's because X programs
don't really care where they are running and where they are displayed. It's
abstracted away.)

  It's Windows that was designed to be a purely local system, and to which
remote running was patched in later.

--
                                                          - Warp