POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Sep 2011 16:55:52
Message: <4e6e71d8$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/09/2011 09:39 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 12.09.2011 22:17, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>
>> I'm not aware of any Unix system which *defaults* to letting remote
>> users access the entire filesystem if they know the root password.
>> Probably because it's a stunningly bad idea, unless the local network is
>> trusted. But anyway...
>
> To the contrary: Unix doesn't only let users who know the root password
> access the /filesystem/, but do /anything/ they like on the machine.

Well, yeah, if I'm on a default Windows box and I've got network access
to a second default Windows box, I can log in to it interactively, I can
access the entire filesystem, the entire registry, read the event log,
run device manager on it, and a whole heap of other stuff. Without
having to configure *anything*.

> That's why you normally keep root passwords a secret ;-)

Windows installations at home generally don't do this. (I blame MS, not
the user.)

>> While we're on the subject, by default you can log in to any remote
>> Windows PC that you happen to know the administrator password to. No
>> special software required. Again, try getting X11 to let you do that.
>> Good luck.
>
> Depends on the server's configuration regarding X11. But you do know
> that X11 is not the only way to log on to a Unix machine, don't you?

Sure. But no other protocols are configured by default either. And with
good reason: not turning stuff on by default is more secure.

>> Doesn't have to be Skype. Various IM clients have this function too. The
>> problem, generally, is the inexplicably slow transfer speeds.
>
> Not inexplicabe if you're on an ADSL line. Hint: The "A" is for
> "asymmetric" ;-)

I know how fast my upload speed is. And it isn't this slow. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/