POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF moment : Re: Today's WTF moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF moment
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Sep 2011 06:08:21
Message: <4e65f115@news.povray.org>
> Always wondered, in the case of the whole "heat pack" thing though if
> you couldn't make one that did the reverse, and was "recoolable", or
> whatever.

Hmm. Plausibly.

I would imagine, like with other refrigeration technologies, the key is
to find a material which has a phase change at the right temperature.
Normal hand warmers become super-saturated solutions at very high
temperatures. If you wanted to make something cold, you'd need something
that becomes super-saturated at a low temperature.

I'm also not completely sure of the kinetics: a hand warmer releases
heat quickly, and absorbs it slowly. That may or may not be useful for
cooling purposes.

Unrelated, but I note that dissolving ammonia in water is an endothermic
reaction. That, apparently, is how Victorian icecream was made. So I
guess the question is, WOULD YOU EAT IT? ;-)