POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs : Re: Tablet PCs Server Time
19 Oct 2024 09:05:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet PCs
From: Warp
Date: 3 Sep 2011 02:15:24
Message: <4e61c5fb@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> As a side note, we even had this discussion recently with one of those
> "libertarian" types, in the form of, "What keeps someone, in your
> magical libertopia from buying everything around your house, including
> the privatized roads, and then stating that they will simply shoot you
> for trespassing, if you step on their land?" 3 days of hand waving
> later, we are still waiting for him to explain the non-governmental
> solution to this one. lol

  Those anarchist dreamers who envision a micronation with no government
and no regulations always amuse me. They only see problems with governments,
never the fact that a government is actually a requirement for a working
society.

  Without regulations and a police force to enforce them, the system becomes
a chaos. It becomes a chaos even if every single citizen is a good-willing
hippie who wouldn't harm a fly. (For example building regulations are
necessary to avert or at least diminish the effects of natural disasters.
You can't stop those with just positive thinking.)

  Also a military, or at the very least military agreements with a strong
neighboring country, are unfortunately a necessity. If you are an independent
micronation with no military and with no connections to any other country,
what stops a country like China or North Korea suddenly deciding that they
want your micronation? You are defenseless.

--
                                                          - Warp