POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs : Re: Tablet PCs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet PCs
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Sep 2011 23:53:55
Message: <4e61a4d3$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/2/2011 8:49 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On 9/2/2011 11:06 AM, Darren New wrote:

>>> I don't think so, but my sample size is one at present. (It's standard
>>> for the app itself, not the paid content - the paid content is what I'm
>>> talking about).
>>
>> Google takes a 30% cut of sales on the app store. Microsoft takes a 30%
>> cut of sales on XBox indy games and Win7 phones. Amazon takes a 30% cut
>> of books you publish on the Kindle.
>>
> But, that isn't the issue. The issue what that, to use the "in-app"
> purchase, Amazon would take a 30% cut, but then Apple would take another
> 30%, since you where buying via *their* app store. So, in actuality, you
> would be paying like 60% extra, not 30%.
>
> Think of it like an ATM transaction fee, the way they worked before
> banks mostly stopped charging their own customers. You would pay say 50
> cents to use the ATM *at all*, then another $1-$5, because you didn't
> just use the ATM card, you used "someone else's" ATM. In this case, you
> would be *required* to do all transactions for books via the Apple app,
> or even store, which would tack on 30%, but since the place you where
> *buying from* was Amazon, they would need to tack on another 30%, for
> their profit, and the result would be that, for a $1 book, you would be
> charged a 30 cent "transaction fee" by Apple, and then another 30 cents,
> by Amazon, for the actual profit they need to make from the purchase.
> Your $1 book is now $1.60. Now, make that a $10 book, and its not $3
> extra, but $6, and so on. Yet, if you bought the same book from Apple,
> it would only be $3.
>
> Not sure why even having such a thing isn't illegal as hell, since I
> can't see it much different than if two businesses opened, both charging
> $5 for a pie, but one of them went and hired goons, to stand on the
> street and charge you an extra $1 to walk to the end of the street,
> where the other store was located, to buy the same $5 pie. Try that any
> place, but online, and you would have your ass handed to you...

As a side note, we even had this discussion recently with one of those
"libertarian" types, in the form of, "What keeps someone, in your
magical libertopia from buying everything around your house, including
the privatized roads, and then stating that they will simply shoot you
for trespassing, if you step on their land?" 3 days of hand waving
later, we are still waiting for him to explain the non-governmental
solution to this one. lol