POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs : Re: Tablet PCs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet PCs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Sep 2011 16:02:06
Message: <4e61363e@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:06:36 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 9/2/2011 9:18, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> That's pretty much industry standard for all the app stores, including
>>> Microsoft and Android.
>>
>> I don't think so, but my sample size is one at present.  (It's standard
>> for the app itself, not the paid content - the paid content is what I'm
>> talking about).
>
> Google takes a 30% cut of sales on the app store. Microsoft takes a 30%
> cut of sales on XBox indy games and Win7 phones. Amazon takes a 30% cut
> of books you publish on the Kindle.

Yes, but that's not the same as what I'm talking about.  I'm talking
about in-app purchases - Apple seems to think that they are entitled to
take 30% of Amazon's revenues for books purchased in the Kindle app.  No
other vendor does that that I've heard of.

So what Amazon has done is moved the Kindle app into an HTML5-based cloud
app so they don't have to pay Apple the 30%.

>> After all, Amazon isn't a charity either - Apple cutting into their
>> profits doesn't mean they make less, it means they raise their prices.
>
> My guess is Amazon is big enough to make a deal with Apple for books
> Amazon is publishing themselves. For self-published books (i.e., small
> publishers), it's the same cut either way.

No, we're talking about two different things here.

>>> A big part of that is to prevent piracy from jailbroken iphones/ipads.
>>
>> I don't think that's what Apple's motivation is.  They want to make
>> money not just on the apps, but on the content purchasable in the apps
>> as well.
>
> Sure. But the reason people bother to put content up when it could be
> part of the app is to help curb piracy, which is still a major drawback
> of iphone publishing.

Sure, but that's got nothing to do with the 30% cut Apple wants from in-
app purchases.

Jim