POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs : Re: Tablet PCs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:29:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet PCs
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Sep 2011 14:06:37
Message: <4e611b2d$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/2/2011 9:18, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:53:28 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 9/1/2011 8:57, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Apple's attempts to extort *30%* of content sales with apps distributed
>>> through the app store
>>
>> That's pretty much industry standard for all the app stores, including
>> Microsoft and Android.
>
> I don't think so, but my sample size is one at present.  (It's standard
> for the app itself, not the paid content - the paid content is what I'm
> talking about).

Google takes a 30% cut of sales on the app store. Microsoft takes a 30% cut
of sales on XBox indy games and Win7 phones. Amazon takes a 30% cut of books
you publish on the Kindle.

> After all, Amazon isn't a charity either - Apple cutting into their
> profits doesn't mean they make less, it means they raise their prices.

My guess is Amazon is big enough to make a deal with Apple for books Amazon
is publishing themselves. For self-published books (i.e., small publishers),
it's the same cut either way.

>> A big part of that is to prevent piracy from jailbroken iphones/ipads.
>
> I don't think that's what Apple's motivation is.  They want to make money
> not just on the apps, but on the content purchasable in the apps as well.

Sure. But the reason people bother to put content up when it could be part
of the app is to help curb piracy, which is still a major drawback of iphone
publishing.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?