POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs : Re: Tablet PCs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet PCs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Sep 2011 11:57:43
Message: <4e5fab77$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 11:41:06 -0400, Warp wrote:

> Mike the Elder <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Actually,I've been wondering about a NON-American tablet called the "We
>> Pad". Link below:
>
>   The major problem with alternatives is that they have something like
> 100 apps,

Hmmm, on my Android phone, searching the market on "app", I get a few
more than 100 that show up on the list.  In fact, I get 335,119 results -
3x what you say is on Apple's "App Store"...

> while the iPad has something like 100 *thousand* apps. (And if
> we count iPhone apps, which you can run on the iPad as well, the number
> probably increases ten-fold.)

The number of apps really isn't a good measure of how decent the platform
is.  You can have crappy apps on all kinds of devices.  In some cases
it's because the developers don't know how to write good apps (which
isn't uncommon, sadly, in the Android market), and in others, it's
because the OS platform vendor puts really stupid restrictions on the
developers, so they have to work around them (which isn't uncommon in
Apple's App Store - look at the way vendors have had to work around
Apple's attempts to extort *30%* of content sales with apps distributed
through the app store - which has caused several to implement their 'in-
app' store interfaces through the web browser instead rather than
integrated into the app.  I suppose they could also charge more for iOS
users, but of course then they have to either raise the price for
everyone in order to be 'fair' or deal with customers complaining that
they have to pay more for the same content on their Apple device).

Jim