POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Braid, Bastion and Beyond : Re: Braid, Bastion and Beyond Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Braid, Bastion and Beyond
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2011 04:39:10
Message: <4e5f44ae$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/2011 04:20 PM, Invisible wrote:

> Bastion doesn't have tedious jumping puzzles. Indeed, you can't actually
> jump!

Wrong. The last 20 minutes of the game is nothing /but/ jumping puzzles!

> For the most part, the game seems to involve casually strolling around
> picking up items and exploring the world. Usually hostiles come in ones
> and twos. Occasionally a whole bunch of them jump you at once, and then
> things get kinda frantic.

The last 20 minutes of the game is basically being rushed by wave after
wave of very difficult hostiles, all at once. And after you've spent the
whole game collecting muskets and carbines and pistols and energy
cannons, you fight the final few battles using the most powerful weapon
in the game: a large stone pillar. :-?

> Then again, I'll let you know after I've /completed/ the thing. ;-) I
> don't know how long it actually is, nor how hard it gets. My impression
> is that I'm still quite near the beginning, but I don't know for certain.

I completed the game in 12 hours, including doing a whole bunch of
optional challenges. Turns out I was actually about half way through
when I wrote my original reply. So the game isn't as big as I'd
imagined. It's still not exactly /small/ though...

The last mission isn't very fun. The ending has no sense of closure. But
right up until then, I was really enjoying the game. And I'm very likely
to continue playing it tonight, just to see if I can beat some of the
optional challenges. If it was a bad game, I wouldn't be bothering. ;-)