POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Braid, Bastion and Beyond : Re: Braid, Bastion and Beyond Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Braid, Bastion and Beyond
From: Warp
Date: 31 Aug 2011 01:59:37
Message: <4e5dcdc8@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> To an extent, have to agree with you. I often prefer the "stand alone"
> games more than the "PVP" ones, so bugs me when that is like 3 hours or
> play, over top of a Quake clone.

  Two of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in game purchase decisions
have been Left 4 Dead and Lord of the Rings Conquest.

  In the first case I was drawn by the hype, and didn't do enough research
on exactly what kind of game it was. The wikipedia article mentioned a
single-player mode, but the mention was rather vague. Rather than doing
more research, I foolishly assumed that there was a normal single-player
story mode like in any other game. I was wrong. Yes, you can play alone,
but it's just the multiplayer mode with computer-controller bots. It's not
a true single-player story mode. This game is exclusively multiplayer.

  In the second case I was in a game store, and there was a "buy 3, pay 2"
offer. I had two games selected and was looking for a third one. There was
nothing that looked good, except for Lord of the Rings Conquest, which I
knew nothing about, but which looked interesting. The back cover mentioned
a single-player mode, again in very vague terms. I even asked the store
clerk if the game has a single-player mode, and he said yes.

  Again, it was a mistake. The game is basically Team Fortress set in the
Lord of the Rings universe. The "single-player" mode is just the multiplayer
mode with bots, nothing else.

  What a waste of money. This should be illegal.

--
                                                          - Warp