POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Braid, Bastion and Beyond : Re: Braid, Bastion and Beyond Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Braid, Bastion and Beyond
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Aug 2011 18:41:29
Message: <4e5d6719$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/30/2011 7:20 AM, Mike the Elder wrote:
> I also tend to avoid MMOs. Several attempts at finding one that I could enjoy
> have all ended in disappointment. If there is an MMO out there that one can just

> scamming and back-stabbing have been the rule - with camaraderie and fair play

> for those of you with lives) are right out. These ALWAYS draw the very worst the
> online world has to offer.  Still, if anyone reading this has a suggestion,
> Charlie Brown might just be dumb enough to run up and take one more kick at that

> likeable yet gullible characters allows himself to be repeatedly duped despite
> overwhelming evidence that the outcome is unlikely to vary.)
>

> Mike C.

To an extent, have to agree with you. I often prefer the "stand alone"
games more than the "PVP" ones, so bugs me when that is like 3 hours or
play, over top of a Quake clone. Star Wars Galaxies was, apparently,
kind of nice pre-Combat Upgrade, since all professions where open, and
you had to master three random ones to become "Jedi". Since then.. You
can't even craft everything in the game, you can pick Jedi as a
profession, and its a pain in the ass. lol There is a clone out for the
game, which isn't quite stable yet, so characters get reset often,
apparently, which goes back, in some respects, to the prior design.

Eve isn't too bad, even though it is PVP. But hell, space battles are
neat anyway. They are in "first stage" of having it so you can walk
around in station in there, so will have some FPS type element, though,
I have no idea if that will include the ability to cap the idiot that
just shot your mining craft to pieces, during the semi-annual "lets
shoot everyone with a cargo hauler" BS they do on there. But, there are
missions you can run, mining, crafting, and as long as you stay out of
places with no security to speak of, you can generally avoid PVP most of
the time.

But, yeah. Even the pay to play MMOs tend to have a, "You need to either
spend 50 times what anyone else does, to make the in-game cash buy
decent equipment, to going on raids, to get them. And some bloody zones
are even lockout, such that you can't trade the items on the market,
so.. that all kind of sucks ass. Casual just isn't something an MMO
does, even when its not PVP.