POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bastion : Bastion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Bastion
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Aug 2011 05:54:25
Message: <4e5cb351$1@news.povray.org>
Eventually I grew tired of the frustration of Braid. Frustrated enough
to actually give up on trying to finish it. Whatever lays at the end -
if anything - isn't worth the cost of buying a new monitor because I've
put my fist through the current one.

That being the case, I bought Bastion. (Working through the alphabet here.)

just under 1GB. (Again peanuts compared to the triple-A titles.)

Unlike Braid, I just can't stop playing this. It's really entertaining.
It's difficult to explain... OK, start by watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TptJHeWngJs

Now you know what the art style is like. Which is good, because I have
no idea what kind of adjectives you'd use to describe it. The game
describes itself as "100% hand-painted, scanned in 1080i HD". To be
sure, on my monitor it looks very crisp indeed. The lines are sharp, the
colours are rich, and the main character animation is very, very fluid.

There's one small issue with this game. It doesn't make sense. It's a
bit like if you picked up a copy of The Hobbit and opened it on chapter
15. You wouldn't be able to make any sense out of it. Bits and pieces
would make sense, but you'd still be mighty confused. That's what this
game is like.

Basically, you wake up lying in a bed, in a room floating in empty
space. As you walk to the door, rocks appear out of thin air and fly up
to form a walkway in front of you. For reasons unknown, THE ENTIRE GAME
plays like this. Everywhere you go, you're walking on floating platforms
in space, which materialise as you walk towards them.

So basically, this is your standard isometric platformer. You beat up
bad guys, collect powerups, earn "XP" (whatever that is), find money,
buy stuff at shops, customise your loadout, etc. The usual deal.

The unusual thing is the vibrant graphics and fluid animation. Also, if
you've watched the trailer above, you've heard The Narrator. He talks to
you during the entire course of the game. Almost everything you do, he
says lines of dialogue for.

Usually when games do this, that just means that the narration states
the obvious, or states something which doesn't /quite/ match what you
just did. (E.g., the narrator says "he waits patently for the lift" when
actually you're walking around getting bored.) This game somehow manages
to utter /correct/ lines of dialogue for EVERY SINGLE ACTION. It's
really quite amazing. Sure, it doesn't "really" change the actual
gameplay in any way. And some people might find the Old West accent
cheesy. But personally I really like it.

Also, this is one of those games that has a story deeper than a teacup.
Which makes it all the more frustrating that it doesn't make sense yet.
I don't know if it ever will start making sense, or whether I'd have to
go a bazillion side-quests for that.

Also, one or two aspects of the gameplay aren't explained real well.
Like, it took me 15 minutes to realise that you can use the mouse to do
things, it's not just keyboard-controlled. (Unfortunately, various
messages about how you can use controls flash past far too fast to
read.) It took me about 30 minutes to get used to using keyboard /and/
mouse at the same time. But I think I'm good with it now.

I don't know how big the game actually is, but I spent about 7 hours
playing it yesterday and I don't /think/ I'm anywhere near the end yet
(though I can't really tell).

In summary:
- Appears to be quite large. Certainly 7 hours of intense playtime
didn't exhaust it.
- Holds out the promise (as yet unrealised) of an interesting story
that's going to start making sense any time soon now.
- Lush visuals.
- Effective and varied music.
- Impressive (though arguably unnecessary) narration.
- Wide range of locations and enemies.
- More powerups, collectables, items, configurations, etc. than you
could possibly get bored with.

It's not the most amazing game I've ever played in my life, but if you

get home tonight and play more of it.