POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Aug 2011 14:32:05
Message: <4e593825$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:23:43 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> http://www.xkcd.com/664/
>
>   I wonder how many great programmatical inventions have been lost
> because they were made within the programming industry rather than the
> academia.

Indeed, and of course there are some concepts that nobody can use because
they're made in the industry and patented by companies with armies of
lawyers rather than in academia.  I wonder how different the software
landscape would be today if some of the utterly stupid patents there are
outstanding lawsuits about weren't covered by a patent.

Jim