POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Use case : Re: Use case Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use case
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Aug 2011 16:35:49
Message: <4e5803a5@news.povray.org>
>> diff compares files and automatically figures out what changed.
>
>> patch automatically applies those changes to other files.
>
>> ...which neatly describes the exact thing I'm trying to do.
>
>    That still doesn't explain what exactly is it that you want to do.

>    Your "make the same edit in all files" is still *way* too vague to give
> any kind of rational answer. As you describe it, it just sounds like what
> you want is for the computer to "do what I want", without you even knowing
> yourself how to express clearly and unambiguously what it is that you want
> (something I find rather strange from a computer programmer).

I guess I'm just used to using Darcs.

If I edit a line in the middle of the foo() function, Darcs notices
this, and creates a patch describing it. If some other user applied this
patch to their copy of the file, where foo() might be defined on a
higher or lower line number (because of other stuff added or removed to
their copy of the file), it Just Works the way you'd expect. Darcs finds
out where the corresponding line is, and mades the same change. Without
me having to worry about how it actually works.

That said, in this instance, because we're only talking about key/value
pairs with a fairly simple syntax, it's probably simplest if I just code
up something that directly does what I actually want, rather than trying
to cable together existing tools which only solve part of the problem...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/