POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Aug 2011 11:26:50
Message: <4e57bb3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/08/2011 04:17 PM, Shay wrote:

> ... I heard a lot of the same crap as you from my teachers, even though I
> never went to "Uni". And often from teachers, like yours, who did not
> understand the subjects they were teaching.

The Real WTF is: What the *hell* is somebody who doesn't know about the
subject doing teaching it to people?! In what universe is that a
remotely good idea?

> What I wonder is how destructive this praise from (molding by)
> unqualified teachers ends up being to their students.

This is the operative question, yes.

> I know enough programmers to know that "working with computers" means a
> lot more than figuring out clever bits of code. It's an environment and a
> lifestyle to which many clever people may not be well suited. Would Frank
> have known this?

Would Frank have cared? I highly doubt it.

> And I know that I wouldn't hire you as a programmer. I would prefer
> someone, perhaps less encyclopedic, with a better work ethic; someone who
> does what he's told by the person paying him to do it and who spends less
> time on this forum; someone who's more interested in keeping the wheels
> turning than it reinventing the wheel.
>
> I might hire you as a tech writer.

Somebody *did* hire me as a tech writer. And liked my work. (And had no
problem with my "work ethic" - then again, it wasn't a big project...)