POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Aug 2011 11:05:02
Message: <4e511e9e@news.povray.org>
On 8/21/2011 0:41, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Below IP is not a network (in IT terminology), but links.

It depends on what IP travels over. If it's IP-over-ATM, there's most
certainly a network there. If it's IP over dial-up, less so.

> (such as video distribution: better skip a frame than freezing.

Sure. And the point I was trying to make is that it's better to reserve
bandwidth than skipping a frame, but IP doesn't support that.

> TCP covers 95% of applications, but there is more than TCP under the sun.

Yep. And I'm saying that the primary reason people don't use TCP is to
compensate for a lack of things like bandwidth allocation and routing
assurance. Nobody used TP4 over a network that will work fine with TP0.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?