POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Aug 2011 00:03:25
Message: <4e50838d$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/20/2011 17:38, clipka wrote:
> Nonsense. There's no connection-oriented networking in the classic Ethernet,

What machines does the broadcast address connect to? Guess what? That's what
they're connected to.

That's the sort of connection I'm talking about, which is important for
management and maintenance and routing. Indeed, the lack of management
features is exactly why people went to star topology ethernet, precisely
because ethernet, like IP, wasn't really connection oriented in that sense,
and when something broke (like beaconing or disconnecting), it was
impossible to isolate and diagnose.

Now, of course, IP treats each ethernet network as something separate from
the routers that link to other ethernet networks. IP isn't really needed if
you run over ethernet without routers.

I'll grant that IP also runs over non-CO networks like alohanet. Other than
that, there's a pretty clear idea of whether you're connected or not to
adjacent machines. IP also isn't needed if you run your network over alohanet.

> You /might/ consider the current route through the internet a kind of
> IP-layer connection,

I believe you misread me. I'm saying IP layers non-connection-oriented on
top of network connections. I don't need to explain how IP can be
interpreted as connection-oriented, because I'm saying IP makes
connection-oriented networks non-connection-oriented.

> but given that it can change even from packet to
> packet, and the packets can reach the receiver in arbitrary order, I'd call
> that pretty far-fetched.

But in practice, it generally doesn't. That's why things like path MTU work.
However, you're reading me in the wrong direction. IP takes something
connection-oriented (dial-up, star topology ethernet, etc) and turns it into
non-connection-oriented. And then layers on top of IP are almost invariably
used to turn it back into a connection-oriented conversation. The most
commonly used reason to not have something connection-oriented is that IP
drops packets and you can't reliably know it happened. I.e., the reason to
use UPD instead of TCP is often that the underlying IP has made the
connection unreliable (non-reservation, etc) compared to something that's
actually connection-oriented.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?