POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Aug 2011 18:19:09
Message: <4e5032dd$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/20/2011 3:55 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> On 19/08/2011 11:23 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> No wonder I can't even figure out some "basic" stuff
>> I need for some 3D math.
>
> What part of
>
> | U x V | = |U| * |V| * cos a
>
> do you *not* understand? :-P
>

> Only teasing. ;-)

Would be a lot simpler if the damn stuff you have to use it in
"understood" all that shit, natively. The problem I always run into is
that you can find a perfectly comprehensible form of something some
place, but it is only applicable is you a) do it by hand, or b) know how
to derive some completely bloody different set of equations, that the
damn computer will understand. Its like knowing, sort of, how to speak
some obscure Chinese dialect, but then finding out that you need to
*write* the information down in German, which for which the only work
you know is the one applying to yourself, Dummkopf.

Well, not exactly the same case, but if you don't have all the other
stuff in between the two concepts, understanding what the math is doing
in the "human" version won't get you any closer to understanding how the
hell the computer needs to deal with it.

The original post in this, describing deriving the two equations needed
for Mandelbrot, from the original non-computer usable one, is a perfect
example. My reaction is, "Show the math, step by step, because WTF?" lol