POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Aug 2011 09:39:01
Message: <4e4fb8f5$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/08/2011 1:30 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Doing arithmetic "without thinking" is how we ended up with Verizon Math
> Fail.

Straw man, straw man.

>> You don't know how to do mental arithmetic, then?
>
> Nobody ever needs to compute the exact quotient of two 4-figure numbers
> mentally. It's not necessary. You just need to be able to estimate the
> answer with sufficient accuracy.

True.

> (Something which apparently a great
> many people can't do for some reason...)

Again true.

> Practising something you're going to need to do every single day of your
> life is worth while. Practising something which you will never, ever
> need to actually do is pointless.

Well it surprises me that you never need to calculate something when you
are away from some form of calculator.

> Nobody computes 6-figure quotients mentally. Nobody needs to.

True.

>> And BTW adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying is arithmetic
>> not maths.
>
> ....which was the entire point of my rant, yes. Our "maths" class
> covered *only* arithmetic, and nothing else.

You have said before that your school was not a particularly good one.
But then I was taught arithmetic in primary school and we did not
progress to mathematics until secondary school.

--
Regards
     Stephen