POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encrypted storage : Re: Encrypted storage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Encrypted storage
From: Warp
Date: 20 Aug 2011 08:34:54
Message: <4e4fa9ed@news.povray.org>
> Myself I'd probably just follow the Keep It Simple principle; no minimum
> password age at all. As I say, very few people are smart enough to
> realise that the system can be abused this way. Heck, most people just
> /assume/ that the system keeps all passwords forever. They don't know
> that 12 is our magic number.

  Security by non-disclosement isn't a good strategy either. It would be
like arguing "nobody is going to hack our password database if we don't
tell anybody in which directory it's located".

  (Yes, I know this is not a question of hacking or the users being
malicious and potentially causing mayhem. However, I see no reason to
not prevent even "innocent" abuse of the system.)

--
                                                          - Warp